2015 Chilean Cabernet
Chile is crafting Cabernet that competes head to head with many of the wonderful Cabernets from California and France. Major producers such as Mouton Rothschild have invested heavily in the vineyards and facilities. The better Chilean wines are great when young, while having the staying power to age.
One of the nice things about Chilean wines is they are produced in large case productions. Their most expensive wines are just over a hundred, not hundreds, or thousands.
Personally with the 2015 vintage rated 92 points our plan is to procure several cases and lay them down for a bit. We procured a number of the 2001 cabs at under $15 from Chile and enjoyed them for a good 10 years. Not sure how you can go wrong buying up some under $17 cabernet rated 90 points and up.
World Class Wine
- Concha y Toro Cabernet Sauvignon Puente Alto Don Melchor 2015 rated 96 points @ $120
An elegant and rich-tasting red, full of concentrated red plum, cherry and currant flavors, backed by suave, medium-grained tannins. The finish offers a caressing palate of lush spice, cocoa powder and cream nuances. Drink now through 2024. Tasted twice, with consistent notes. 8,400 cases made. –KM
- Viña Almaviva Puente Alto 2015 rated 95 @ $130
Powerful and rich, this is full of juicy dark plum, cherry tart and berry compote flavors that are creamy and lush. Hints of French roast and spice emerge midpalate, with a long finish that is elegant and savory. Cabernet Sauvignon, Carmenère, Cabernet Franc and Petit Verdot. Drink now through 2023. 15,000 cases made.
90 + rated
- Viña Santa Ema Cabernet Sauvignon Maipo Valley Reserva 2015 rated 91 @ $15
Dark plum and dried red berry flavors dominate this muscular red, with plenty of minty and savory accents. Medium-grained tannins support chocolate and cream details on the finish. Drink now through 2021. 25,000 cases made
- Viña San Pedro Cabernet Sauvignon Maipo Valley 1865 Selected Vineyards 2015Score 91 • Price $18
A refined red, with impressive length to the intense red plum, cherry and raspberry flavors, supported by crisp acidity. A powerful undercurrent of dried herbs extends into the minerally finish. Drink now through 2022. 61,111 cases made.
- Viña Santa Rita Carmenère Colchagua Valley Medalla Real Gran Reserva 2015 score 91 • Price $18
Big and rich, this is filled with well-structured dark plum, currant and black olive flavors. Densely packed spiciness shows midpalate, with a finish of dark chocolate and Asian spice. Drink now through 2022. 13,333 cases made
- Viña Tarapacá Carmenère Maipo Valley Gran Reserva 2015 Score 90 • Price $18
Lip-smacking flavors of plum tart, cherry and kirsch feature some floral accents. Offers lively acidity, with a finish that lingers with notes of black olive and fresh-roasted coffee bean. Drink now through 2020. 25,000 cases made.
- Casas del Bosque Cabernet Sauvignon Maipo Valley Gran Reserva 2015 Score 90 • Price $17
Powerful and rich appealing herbals details on the muscular finish. Drink now through 2021. 10,000 cases made
- Concha y Toro Cabernet Sauvignon Maipo Valley Casillero del Diablo Reserva Privada 2015 Score 90 • Price $18
This ripe and muscular red offers dense dark currant, dried blackberry and green olive flavors that lengthen out nicely, with plenty of fresh acidity. Savory green herbal and bittersweet chocolate notes show on the finish. Drink now through 2020. 62,878 cases made.
88 – 89 rated
- Lapostolle Cabernet Sauvignon Rapel Valley Casa Grand Selection 2015 Score 89 • Price $14
Rich and juicy, with concentrated raspberry and red currant flavors, flanked by savory dried herbal accents. Pure and minerally on the finish. Drink now through 2021. 30,000 cases made.
- Odfjell Cabernet Sauvignon Maipo Valley Armador 2015 score 89 • Price $14
A minty red, with spicy accents to the crisp red plum and raspberry flavors. The snappy finish offers licorice and white pepper notes. Drink now through 2018. 30,000 cases made
- Viñedos Errázuriz Ovalle Cabernet Sauvignon Colchagua Valley Viñedos Marchigüe Panilonco Reserve 2015 Score 88 • Price $5
Flavors of fresh-crushed cherry and plum are accented by savory notes in this fruity, open-textured red. Chocolate and Asian spice details show on the finish. Drink now through 2020. 35,000 cases made.
- Viña Montes Cabernet Sauvignon Colchagua Valley Classic Series 2015 Score 88 • Price $13
Shows a supple, minerally edge to the juicy cherry and raspberry flavors, accented by hints of citrus and cardamom. The spicy finish offers notes of chocolate. Drink now through 2019. 90,000 cases made
- Viña Santa Rita Pinot Noir Aconcagua Valley 120 2015 score 88 • Price $8
This juicy red offers effusive cherry and berry flavors that are supple, with some savory notes. The spicy finish shows accents of dried beef. Drink now. 111,100 cases made.
- Casas del Bosque P Casablanca Valley Reserva 2015 rated 87 @ $15
Pomegranate and red currant flavors dominate this firm, savory red. Features leafy notes midpalate, with a spicy finish. Drink now through 2020. 10,000 cases made. –KM
The list above contains most of the quality producers from Chile. They make other wines with various grapes and for the most part they are all good value.